Deadline: 10 January 2020
The Department of Biology in the Faculty of Science at the University of Copenhagen in Denmark is offering a Postdoctoral fellowship in fungal evolution and genomics, commencing 1 September 2020 or as soon as possible thereafter. The University of Copenhagen provides a top-notch research environment and the city of Copenhagen provides a vibrant cultural scene.
The fellowship will be part of a research project financed by an ERC Starting Grant based in the thriving research environment of the Section of Ecology and Evolution, and will involve some fieldwork in the Panamanian tropical rainforests at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (http://www.stri.si.edu/). The successful applicant will have experience and interest in evolution, genomics, bioinformatics, and fungus culturing methods.
The project will explore genomic signatures of crop domestication, focusing on a lineage of fungi that has been cultivated for food by attine ants for millions of years. These fungi have traits that reinforce their value as co-evolved food crops, and they depend on their ant farmers to provide them with nutritional substrates (e.g. fresh vegetation) foraged from the environment. The postdoc will take part in collection trips to Panamanian rainforests, perform integrative in vitro studies of fungus cultivar performance, and use genomics and bioinformatics tools to explore the metabolic pathways governing fungus crop performance.
The position is available for a 2-year period and your key tasks as a Postdoctoral Fellow at SCIENCE are:
- To manage and carry out your research project
- To oversee student research related to your project
- Write scientific articles
- To travel to and perform field research in tropical rainforests
- Disseminate your research
- PhD in Biology with good results (including publications and conference presentations)
- An interest in fungal evolution, genomics and bioinformatics
- Experience with sequencing and molecular analyses
- Experience isolating and in vitro culturing of fungus
- Creativity and ability to be both team-oriented and independent
- A proven record of excellent English speaking, reading and writing skills.
- Embrace of an international research environment and interdisciplinary research
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
The starting salary is currently at a minimum DKK 426.625 including annual supplement (+ pension up to DKK 72.952). Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
The application, in English, must be submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
How to apply
Applications must include:
- Cover letter
- Statement of research interests and reasons for applying to this position (max 2 pages)
- Curriculum vitae (including a list of publications)
- Copies of relevant diplomas and transcripts (PhD, Master and Bachelor)
- Separate reprints of 3 particularly relevant papers
- Full contact details (name, address, e-mail, telephone numbers and addresses of 2-3 professional referees).
In addition to the fulfilment of the above-mentioned qualifications, the main criterion for selection will be the research potential of the applicant, the match with the project and good interpersonal skills. Additionally, my research group and the University of Copenhagen strive to reflect the diversity of society and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
The deadline for applications is 10 January 2020, 23:59 GMT +1.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee. Afterwards, an assessment committee will be appointed to evaluate the selected applications. The applicants will be notified of the composition of the committee and the final selection of a successful candidate will be made by the Head of Department, based on the recommendations of the assessment committee and the interview committee.
The main criterion for selection will be the research potential of the applicant and the previously mentioned skills. You can read more about the recruitment process at http://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/
For specific information about the Postdoctoral Fellowship please refer to the website of Assistant Professor Jonathan Shik (www.jonathanshik.com), or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org, Direct Phone: +45 31152140.
For further details, and to apply, see: https://employment.ku.dk/all-vacancies/?show=150980